Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"The John Wall"

     Today, on the most fitting of days, the first day of the NBA season, I have coined a new term.  It is a term that describes the imaginary barrier that a player who has high potential cannot seem to pass to become a franchise player.  That barrier, is "The John Wall".



     John Wall, a guy who came into the NBA with such high hopes that he seemed to be the savior of Washington D.C., was a media phenom.  Although I was not one of the rabid followers who flocked to him, I definitely saw why there was hype.  This guy is a beast on paper.  He is 6'4", 195 pounds, and damn fast, with handles to match his speed.  One thing he did lack though, was a shooting stroke.  That tends to be a problem for high flyers going into the NBA though, so not a huge problem off the bat.
     So why can't Wall establish himself as a franchise point guard?  In his seasons playing for the Wizards, his shooting has gotten worse, especially from behind the arc, where he shot 3 for 42 (I'm disgusted and Josh Martin knows that is saying something coming from me).  John Wall also struggles to play the half court game.  He is a cold blooded killer on the break (which I dream of from time to time), but cannot establish himself in the part of the game that concerns his teammates the most.
     Rajon Rondo still seems to be struggling as a "franchise" player.  He has a similar issue that Wall does, with a shooting stroke that just can't seem to be fixed.  He can score in droves from time to time, and pass the ball with the best of them but teams shrug him off at the perimeter, which makes him less of a threat.  This season especially more people are doubting his real potential.
     I know it probably hurts Josh, who has the three point stroke of a golden demigod, to watch players without the long range game he loves.  Damn, it hurts me to watch it and I only put up three's when I think its absolutely necessary, but I think it hurts us both more, to see John Wall struggling to climb "The John Wall".  
     Will John Wall become a franchise guy?  Honestly, in my opinion, I say no.  I was hesitant from the beginning and after seeing his jumper just get worse, I cannot see him progressing into a franchise player.  I know that it seems like blasphemy, but I just can't say he'll be a superstar.  
     For reference on future star point guards, refer to the article below"Thunderstorm in Cleveland" by Josh Martin.  Its about a guard who for sure is a star.  (If John Wall is reading this, highlight that page.) 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment