Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kobe Bryant Logo Meaning

Uma Thurman AND Kobe Bryant are the Black Mamba

So, I'm doing some graphic design work and watching Kill Bill Vol. 1 late last night. I happen to glance over at the screen to catch the character, Bill, holding onto the Bride/Black Mamba's sword. I was like: "Kobe Bryant makes samurai swords?" But, in all seriousness, I was super surprised. I mean, I have never known the meaning behind Kobe's logo. I've seen it everywhere (including my own Kobe Bryant basketball shoes) and just chalked it up to bad design.

Well, after I saw this scene, I went on a google frenzy.

From what I read, Kobe says his logo represents raw talent within a sheath.

From Esquire, 2007:

Kobe's logo, which you will hear more about in the coming years, is called the Sheath. It is drawn to resemble the sheath of a samurai's sword. The sword is the raw talent, Kobe explains. The sheath is the package it's kept in -- everything you go through, your calluses and your baggage, what you learn.

Mind you, this logo was revealed 2007/2008, FIVE years after the first Kill Bill. Part of me thinks Kobe Bryant is an avid Kill Bill fan. 

I mean, it seems a huggggge coincidence that the Main character of Kill Bill happens to have the same logo and nickname of a certain 6'6" shooting guard.

2 comments: