Saturday, November 3, 2012

NBA History Lessons: Alex English

So Paul and me were exchanging some texts today: all about basketball of course. Knowing I'm a huge Denver Nuggets fan, he asked: "Who is the greatest player in Nuggets history?" He mentioned the finger-wagging Dikembe Mutombo. At one point, I agreed. How would anyone say the the 4 time NBA Defensive player of the year, arguably the best shot-blocker in NBA history isn't the best player to don a Nuggets jersey? Well, a little bit ago, around June, I went on a Denver Nuggets history/research binge. I really wanted to know the ins and outs of the team I call "my team."

I stumbled upon one 6'7" guard, Alex English. Considered one of the most explosive players of the 1980's. I felt so ignorant not knowing who he was. Well, Mr. English, in his 10 years with the Nuggets, averaged about 27ppg (and 4+ assists per game.) That's pretty crazy. Carmelo Anthony, another Franchise great, only averaged about 24ppg.

I know its not all about points, but English is 13th in total points in NBA history; he was 7th when he retired in 1991. But, the real sticking point, for me at least, is English's role in transforming a franchise who was near the rock bottom, to annual playoff contenders (much like Carmelo Anthony's impact when he was drafted in 2003.) English led the Nuggets to the playoffs 9 times (Mutumbo, 3, Anthony, 6) 



English is arguably the best player in Denver Nuggets history


The title for best player in Nuggets franchise history is up for debate, but generally a competition between Alex English, Dikembe Mutombo, and Carmelo Anthony. I like to think these have been our 'franchise' players. English was with the Nuggets 10 years (Mutombo, 5, Anthony, 7) and I believe had a much bigger impact than the other 2 players, granted Mutombo probably is the most recognized/decorated player.

I do credit Carmelo Anthony for being a close 2/3. Not only is he one of the best players the Nuggets ever had (and drafted) but he holds personal significance with me. Without him, I do not know if I would have ever developed a strong love for the Nuggets, or the NBA for that matter. Living in Colorado for much of my childhood, I grew up with John Elway and the back-to-back Superbowl winning Broncos. It seemed only natural to gravitate to the Denver NBA team as well (it didn't hurt that Pittsburgh, where I moved to after Colorado, doesn't have an NBA team.) Melo really made me an NBA fan. For that, I thank that New York-loving asshole (I kid.)

No comments:

Post a Comment