Monday, November 26, 2012

NBA 2k13: Association Check In


I just finished my second season of my association mode. I went 21-8. (26-3 in my first season) I repeated as NBA champions with League MVP, Most Improved player, and Final MVP, James Harden (27.8ppg/6.0apg/5rpg) Last season, league MVP/Finals MVP was Derrick Rose.

Starting 5
 Derrick Rose               James Harden                   Rudy Gay                 Carl Landry             Andre Drummond

Season 3 (Current)
PG Derrick Rose, 98    $18mil
SG James Harden, 90   $15mil
SF Rudy Gay, 93      $18mil
PF Carl Landry, 80        $7.5mil
C Andre Drummond, 69       $2.6mil

Bench
PG Eric Maynor, 72      $2.5mil
SG Jeremy Lamb, 80        $2.5mil
SG Corey Brewer, 74      $1.5mil

PG Josh Selby, 65             $884K
SF Adam Morrison, 58      $494K
PF Fab Melo, 61               $494K
C Joel Pryzbilla, 58           $490K

Season 2
PG Derrick Rose, 96    $18mil
SG James Harden, 86   $14mil
SF Paul George, 84      $12mil
PF Josh Smith, 88         $12mil
C Chris Kaman, 75       $3mil
Bench
PG Austin Rivers, 72       $2m
il

SG Jeremy Lamb, 75        $2mil
SF Kenneth Faried, 77      $1.5mil
PF Fab Melo, 59               $494K
C Joel Pryzbilla, 60           $490K
PG Josh Selby, 63             $884K
PF Brian Scalbrine, 44      $494K


In the original fantasy draft (season 1):
Rd. 1 Derrick Rose
Rd. 2 Roy Hibbert
Rd. 3 Paul George
Rd. 4 Kenneth Faried
Rd. 5 Jeremy Lamb
Rd. 6 Courtney Lee
Rd. 7 Austin Rivers
Rd. 8 Yi Jianlian
Rd. 9 Josh Hamilton
Rd. 10 Robin Lopez
Rd. 11 Josh Selby
Rd. 12 Brian Scalabrine
I immediately made a move to secure me a #2 player, James Harden. I traded Roy Hibbert and draft picks.
To fill the hole I created at Center, I moved Courtney Lee and draft picks for Chris Kaman.

So, just finished my second season in association mode. As I mentioned last check-in, I increased the difficulty to Superstar, and as such found myself in much lower scoring games. The games have been much tighter. I relied much on the passing game, making Josh Smith and James Harden my go-to scorers (Harden 28ppg/Smith 22ppg) while Derrick Rose drastically dropped to 14ppg, but increased in assists (9 to 13apg)

While my team has been very well-rounded and has won back-to-back championships, I find the lineup getting stale. I've gotten kind of bored playing games, so I thought I would shake up the roster.

In the offseason, I made a few big moves, with the biggest being the trade of Paul George and Josh Smith for Rudy Gay and Carl Landry.

Under normal circumstances, I would never in my life make that trade. I love Prince George and Josh Smith way too much. But, in the NBA finals the last two seasons, I faced the 76er's and their franchise guy was Rudy Gay. He would tear me up left and right; his inside game is disgusting and he can hit the 3 pointer need be. I thought it would be fun to nab him in exchange for 2 cornerstones of my team. I like to think I created some elaborate storyline in this alternate NBA universe.

New franchise player. Part of my new big 3 along with Rose and Harden

While Gay was the focus point of the trade, Landry was almost as important. He had a very cap-friendly contract for his rating (80) and he had the player skills/inside game that would still give me a scoring presence inside, with Smith gone (Hibbert was my guy in season 1.) I may move Landry for draft picks for cap relief, though. With 3 large contracts in Rose, Harden, an Gay, I'm strapped for cap room.

For my next move, I traded Kenneth Faried for Andre Drummond and a 1st Rd. Pick. 

Faried's morale has been quite low all season, with many minutes going to Jeremy Lamb. At one point, I was going to trade him, but as HUGE Kenneth Faried fan, I couldn't pull the trigger. Well, I finally did after it seemed he was inconsolable. The move didn't do much for improving my team, but it did create a challenge for me:

New project. Code-named Operation Big man, bigger stick.

Andre Drummond was the 9th overall pick (in real life) by the Pistons this past year and while he is raw and has tons of upside, his 2k13 rating is piss-poor. (59) He possesses the 'Eraser' player skill and has a very high dunk rating (87) and solid rebounding. I thought it would be a real challenge to take the 19yr. old, 6'10" C and make him great. He has a decent potential (B) and I increased it in camp with the 'Unlock Potential.' The move saves me lots of money (signed him to a 5 year deal, 2mil/yr,) too.

I also let Chris Kaman and Austin Rivers walk because of cap reasons. Very, very sad to part with Rivers.

Brian Scalabrine retired and I brought in Adam Morrison (Just need someone who won't be angry sitting on the bench.) I picked up Corey Brewer and Eric Maynor is Free agency. The latter was a pick made before the Gay trade to replace Rivers and save 1mil/year. His 2.5mil cap hit is a bit too much for me. I may trade him and bump Selby to backup PG.

I am currently under the cap $875k

While the roster shakeups weren't necessary, it keeps it fresh. It's fun to explore more players. The only mainstay will be Derrick Rose. That guy isn't leaving my team ever! Cheers fellow 2Kballers!

1 comment:

  1. How can I get in league game tag is b1briggs on ps3

    ReplyDelete