Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fantasy Deal: Tyreke Evans for Josh Smith

     Im starving.  Sweet sweet basketball has been eluding me for the past few months.  Ive been following the NBA like an Atlanta Hawk but alas, life has been pulling my strings in a definite evil puppeteer fashion.  This is now my first post in about a month, so I'm gonna try to make it count.

     The trade deadline is fast approaching and a thousand names are being thrown around online in a hectic,  hodgepodge way.  Most are absolutely ridiculous and I, the Zoltar of Basketball Future, am here to clear the cloudy crystal ball of trade scenarios.

Zoltar, teller of basketball trade future

      Anyway who knows me can tell you that I have a healthy respect for former ROY Tyreke Evans, whose strong, limber frame carries a bevy of potential.  Buuuuuuuut, most of you probably know, he is on the Sacramento Kings (the Seattle Supersonics as of next year), which is not a hotbed for NBA elite.  The Kings roster is packed full of guards, all of which are at some point playing off position, with a sparse selection of bigs outside of DeMarcus Cousins.  Evans is one of these guards, the most naturally talented I would say, but has been struggling to find a spot on this chaotically changing team since his injury ridden sophomore season.

     The Atlanta Hawks, after starting fiery hot and exceeding expectations, have fallen off, especially after losing Lou Williams, (winner of a PB and J Dark Horse award for December) who provided a hot, juicy load on offense.  And, after a good long run among the strongest teams in the East, the Hawks look to be fading into NBA limbo.  I think the Hawks have realized this and I believe that this is going to make them hemorrhage some assets.  Namely, forward Josh Smith, who the people of Atlanta have scoffed at as taking stupid shots and trying to do too much.  Although I can agree with that to some degree, THIS GUY IS EASILY YOUR BEST PLAYER WHO MADE YOUR TEAM WHAT IT WAS THE PAST FEW YEARS.  Joe Johnson, a notorious shooter whose actions I describe as "Kobe-esque" (Kobe-esque- adj.- 1. actions such as shooting your team out of a game 2. handling the ball more than a typical point guard while playing a different position. 3. playing terribly then blaming teammates.), has never received so much flak.



     So, even though I don't agree with it, I think the Hawks will part with Josh Smith, who can be a giant pick up for any team.  I hope that the team to do so will be the Sacramento Kings.  The Kings could trade away Evans and a package deal maybe including Jason Thompson(?) for Josh Smith and preferably a veteran like Kyle Korver, who could help them tremendously down the Stretch Armstrong.  Securing Josh Smith would cement two good big men for the Kings which would almost immediately make them contenders because of the lack of quality big men in the NBA right now.

     In my opinion, this deal is beneficial for both teams.  An offensively crippled Hawks secure a scorer in Evans, and the skinny Kings team would receive a crazy solid forward playing better than he ever has.

     Game. Set. Match.

    Do I think this will happen? No.

    Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment