Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bye Hornets, Hello Pelicans



The most terrifying team name in NBA history

Well, they finally made the name switch. Announced in December by new New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson, he said he wanted to change the team to one that better represented the state. (remember that the hornets name was carried over from Charlotte when the team relocated to New Orleans in 2002)



Alternate Pelicans Logos

Around this time, many suggested that New Orleans reclaim the Jazz team name from Utah, but as we all know, the Great Salt Lake City state is in no rush to hand that over. So, names like the Brass and Bullsharks were tossed around until the Pelicans name was rumored to be the final choice. From there, there has been hundreds of mocked up logos all over the web. Many questioned if it would be possible to make the Pelican moniker, the least fitting name for a professional sports team full of 6ft+, tattoed covered athletes, intimidating. At first you would think it wouldn't be possible, but believe me, I saw some sweet creations:

This and more great (mock) Pelicans logos here

I even tried my hand at making some logos, but with graduation and job hunting, never quite finished any of them:



I really wish I had more time to really hash a full logo out. I never got past the initial thumbnail stage, unfortunately. It's funny-- originally I thought to make the Pelican into a musical note that acted as the 'N' in New Orleans and I just recently saw somebody do something similar. I even played around trying to make the pelican into the Fleur-de-lis, just like one of their confirmed alternate logos.  It's so difficult to be original, no matter how hard you try!

But, ultimately, today, a final logo was chosen. And while its more certainly not my favorite design, it could be a lot worse. I still don't think it will go over well with NBA fans for quite some time. I feel like eventually, people won't even call them the Pelicans, but possibly the 'Pels' like Pittsburgh does with their NHL team, the Penguins (Proof that a professional sports team can turn a unthreatening bird into a beloved, championship winning juggernaut of an identity for a state)

I loved Chris Paul's response to his former team's name change:


I'm not either, CP3. But, the Hornets name isn't going to be dead too long. Michael Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats has already said if/when New Orleans changes their team name, he'd explore the possibility of bringing the Hornets back to Charlotte. As an NBA fan growing up in the 90's, that's great to hear. I most definitely don't want to see the Hornets leave the NBA.

I'd much rather see the Bobcats and their terrible logo/jerseys go in the dumpster. Gross.



No comments:

Post a Comment