Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Who Be Ballin? Ty Lawson

After riding a season high 7-game win streak, Denver has lost 3 games in a row (starting with that intense 3OT loss to Boston.) You can blame the losses to injuries: Danilo Gallinari and Andre Iguodala, Denver's best defenders, are out. But, Ty Lawson has stepped up in their absence. 

Ty Lawson is becoming a true floor general
In Denver's 3 losses, Ty has put up amazing stats:

28pts/9ast average and 62% FG% over 3 games? Whoa.

Lawson signed a lucrative contract at the beginning of the season, and has, for the most part, been unable to live up to the lofty expectations that came with it. Ty was drafted 18th overall in the PG heavy 1st round of the 2009 draft. Here's the list:

1.5 Ricky Rubio
1.6 Jonny Flynn
1.7 Stephen Curry
1.10 Brandon Jennings
1.17 Jrue Holiday
1.18 Ty Lawson
1.19 Jeff Teague
1.20 Eric Maynor
1.21 Darren Collison
1.25 Rodrique Beaubois
1.29 Toney Douglas

As you can see, many PG's taken that year have transcended into franchise cornerstones and all-stars. Ty has always shown flashes of greatness, but has never been considered to be part of either of those categories. Ty is my favorite player in the entire league and I have been following him closely since we traded for him draft night. I've always thought he had it in him to be great, I mean, as the 2009 ACC player of the year and winner of the Bob Cousy award for best PG, he did lead NC Tar Heels to a NCAA championship.

I think Ty is progressing to Denver's franchise player (no more of this Danilo Gallinari garbage) I hope that his excellent play continues: he's been improving every month since September.

By the way, highlight of my entire life when Ty tweeted at me last year (I legitimately geeked when Kenneth Faried tweeted at me, too):




No comments:

Post a Comment